Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Time.

I have it now. No lectures to prep, no essays to grade, no student emails to return. Unstructured time! The novelty will wear off shortly but for now I'm enjoying the aimlessness. I haven’t switched gears into dissertation mode yet, so for inspiration I've come up with my summer resolutions:
1. Write. And write. And write some more – drafts of two chapters by the end of August, and a journal article to shop around for publication.
2. Migrate the blog, and then update it more regularly.
3. Drop another pant size. I've shed four since August, and while I'm coming to terms with the hereditary belly I'm not convinced it’s a lost cause.
4. Read at least one book a week (fiction).
5. Take a tiny trip. Quebec City for a weekend, perhaps. Something that fits my financial straits but also gets me off the island.
Crap. That’s a lot to do. I'll start tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alexandre said...

Actually, grading is the reason I didn't go to YulBlog, this week. Sounds like good times were had by all. Too bad we didn't meet. I'm in a very similar situation, about time and diss-writing.
Keep in mind: a good dissertation is a done dissertation.
And don't read too much into Piled higher and Deeper, the comic strip.

1:02 PM  
Blogger flaneur said...

Cursed grading! We'll just have to meet at the next Yulblog, do that cliched teacher bit of exchanging "those darn students" stories! Conversation fodder notwithstanding, I wouldn't want to be doing anything else. Oh wait, right, the diss.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Alexandre said...

Well, I'm done grading and I can't say I have a lot of "bad things" to say about my students. But we should definitely meet up at the next Yb meeting. I get the feeling the June 6 meeting will be even more fun than it usually is.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home