Monday, August 06, 2007

Before

It would have been another anniversary. The residue is sloughing off. Sometimes I still catch myself in the vision of a future that’s no longer coming – my eyes linger on for-sale signs on tree-lined park-adjacent streets. Sometimes I still turn to what’s no longer there – with news of my grandfather’s rapidly failing health my fingers instinctively tried to dial the unforgotten number. It was a mess and I was in love and that didn’t feel like quite so much of a paradox at the time.
But hey, crisitunity. I've already re-vamped the future: a post-doc at USC, maybe even Goldsmiths (!). And, importantly, there is no shortage of other phone numbers: those who always stick around, who have cracked the requisite caustic jokes and have cried in sympathy and have paid the entire tab at the end of the night.
I'm off to meet such a handful shortly. Not because it’s the 6th (no, really, this rendezvous has been rescheduled three times), and not as that maudlin matter of life goes on. Life does that regardless, it’s just better now. It’s not as linear as it sounds, but when I stare at myself brushing my teeth at the end of the day I can tell that it’s true. And it’s such a relief. I prefer After.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You might have mentioned it...

2:08 AM  
Blogger flaneur said...

Some markers don't need a toast. It was a very merry un-anniversary this way :)

8:47 AM  
Blogger lizzie said...

The simultaneity of our posts on matters of marking years is unfortunate and I feel gloat-ey in a way that I totally do not mean.

Frankly, I really dig Ms After.

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home