Wednesday, October 18, 2006

And the theme of the week is…

Everywhere I turn this week climate change is on the agenda. This is not a complaint. It came up in class this week, which surprised me. The professor segued from a discussion of regionalism in Canada into slideshow (not as good as Gore’s) about Canada's poor performance in reducing emissions. I was pleasantly surprised – from my experience in Canadian Studies, and not just at McGill, there’s been a tendency to shy away from casting the country in a bad light, and to spin the less laudable aspects (like the Historica Minutes approach to history). Then there’s the upcoming symposium at U de M on Friday. And more coverage of Schwarzenegger’s big plans for California (though I still have a hard time taking him seriously as a politician). I like this trend. I admit to not knowing as much about these issues as I should, but I'm trying, and it’s great to see that I'm not the only one getting my consciousness raised.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home