Thursday, July 13, 2006

My life in boxes

So the packing continues. Moving day is only two sleeps away. Deftly side-stepping the obstacle course of boxes in my hallway makes me feel both nimble and nostalgic. Every time I move I make the same pledge to be more ruthless in weeding out the non-essentials, and I think I've done a better job of it this time. Gone are the tealight holders I bought at the dollar store in my second year of undergrad. Gone are the objects that after years of being squished are barely recognizable as pillows. Gone are the masses of tiny decorative boxes filled with spare buttons, safety pins, and (for some reason) ribbon spools. My rat-packiness is astounding. I keep reminding myself, each time I tape another box closed (with that satisfying stretch and slap of packing tape) that in a few days I get to unpack, reorganize, build myself a new space. Make coffee in a new kitchen, curl up amidst a different configuration of furniture, have a backyard. Whee!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank god for your blog, dude, otherwise thing that i can only allude to may have gone very awry

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. its jodi

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ribbon spools? andrea what's that all about?? and I'm truly sorry you had to trash the dollar-store stuff :(

11:14 AM  
Blogger flaneur said...

the ribbon spools were actually left over from last summer and my ardent belief that what our department's softball team needed to win was matching nipple tassles. i never finished making them (confession: i never figured out how to make them in the first place, all my attempts ended up looking like grade-school crafts gone wrong), and our team never won. coincidence? most likely, since we've now won twice so far this summer, with tassle-less nips.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home